Sunday, September 7, 2008

1:12:18

Previous PR 1:13:21, also went through 10 miles in 54:28 for a new "unofficial" 10 mile pr. I was very confident going into the race, weather conditions were almost perfect and having driven the course the day before I knew it was a fast one. One significant hill between mile 9 and 10 but other than that pancake flat and a net downhill. The only doubt in my mind, the last couple of days, a potential issue in my right foot has been developing. More of that later

At the start line there were 6 or 7 of us who were hoping to work together at about a 5:30 pace and Tim had even organized a couple of guys to step in at mile 3 and 6 to help us along. Tim and Fred headed out of sight as expected. Tim went on to run a personal PR of 1:09:53- nice job Tim!

I led the second group through the first three miles (5.30,5.32,5.16- downhill). Then one of the 'pacers' took over and he actually hammered it along a bit faster than I was feeling comfortable at so I backed off a bit and hung out at the back of the pack for a while. Next miles passed in 5.26,27,24,26,29,26. I was now in a group of three (one 'pacer' and another guy) as we approached the hill. I was feeling pretty strong still and was looking to break the other guy here. Sure enough coming off the top of the hill I had made a break so now it was three miles to go and no looking back! That mile was 5.32, mile 11 was 5.28 and now I was beginning to hurt! It was now also raining steadily so I was nicely soaked now and starting to fade! Mile 12 I managed in 5.35 then mile 13 in 5.41.

So fifth overall, first in age group and a big fat pr. Felt very good through mile 11 and it was only the last two miles I was feeling uncomfortable. The negative though is that my right foot is hurting. It's a pain at the base of my arch on the inside. Obvious reaction is that it's pf rearing its ugly head but it is in a completely different location to where I suffered last time and is more of an ache than an acute pain. I'm sure it's to do with the way I have been unconsciously compensating for previous injuries. Hopefully a couple of sessions with my chiropractor and concentrating on my 'proper' running form and I'll be okay. An easy week scheduled next week so we'll see....

I'm having a great time up here but will fill in with the other details of my trip when i get a bit more time!

Oh and I met 'Salty One' after the race today! Great to meet up with a 'fellow blogger' for the first time! Unfortunately the rain was really coming down at that point so it was a short and sweet introduction but congrats to your husband Laura, I saw in the results that he comfortably met his goal!

5 comments:

Tom said...

Congratulations - that is one awesome run! Way to go!

Mindi said...

Wow - congrats on one BIG FAT PR! Awesome!

JS said...

Great job, Paul, you are one speedy mofo.

The Salty One said...

It was great to meet you too! Rain or no rain I would have hung out longer but we had to rush back to the far east side of town where we live so I could make it to a family party. As I wrote in my blog, next time you're in town we need to grab a beer! Hope you had fun watching the game on Sunday!!

The Salty One said...

Oh and yeah! Great race!!!