Friday, January 2, 2009

More quad death

My legs feel so heavy at the moment! Today's run was an 'easy' 7.34 during my lunch hour (yes I actually took a lunch hour today!). Breathing wise the run felt fine but my legs just don't have that spark at the moment. I didn't look at my watch until after the run and was surprised to see that I had run at 6.30 pace. Surprised because a) this is a hilly run and I didn't push it that much and b) it felt a lot slower because of my legs!

I'm guessing it is just the body's way of telling me it needs to re-adapt to the higher mileage. My legs will come round in the end. I'm not taking it as a sign that I am overdoing it and need to back off. I think the schedule I'm following at the moment- 65 miles a week including 2 workouts and a long run with a 20% cutback every 4th week- is tough but definitely doable, especially if I want to get back into my pre-Cleveland Half shape.

We'll see....

2 comments:

Mindi said...

Yes, it is probably just adaptation. Man, I wish I had time for 65 mpw. I am very envious! Happy New Year!

mainers said...

Mindi, I've only just got enough time for 65 mpw. I'm having to be very creative and versatile to get there- will see how long I can keep it up. You know what it's like, any spare moment away from work or family you basically have to run!