Saturday, January 26, 2008

Back at it

I'm feeling pretty good at the minute. My knee has calmed down completely, to the point where I've run a painless 50 miles in the past week or so. After seeing the doc I took a few days off and then gradually ran 2,3,4, etc. miles a day with the intention of stopping if i ever felt any pain (I didn't need to). I have been taking the anti-inflammatories he prescribed twice a day and they seem to have done the trick in the end. So I've probably ripped the lining off my stomach but at least I'm running again right??!

Today's run was 10 on the trails with a bunch of guys I haven't seen for a while and it felt good. I'm starting to feel part of the running community again (hence reopening my blog!).

I also went to see a physio yesterday and they pulled my leg this way and that way without getting any reaction from my knee, so that was reassuring too. In fact they gave my legs a real going over and surprisingly they didn't really pick up any strength imbalances that I need to do specific work on. They just gave me a bunch of stretches to do each day which I plan to do religiously, working mainly on strengthening my quad so that my patella tracks the way it should and also getting some flexibility back into my IT band which they noted (unsurprisingly) was pretty tight.

Work has calmed down too now so things are just... well... 'good' at the minute. Hopefully I haven't tempted fate by writing all this!

Currently waiting on Time Warner guy to come and install DVR which we're pretty excited about getting. Have done without for the past two years without realising it would only have cost us 6 bucks a month extra.

Watched a good movie and read a good book over the last few days too (Mystic River and The Road- although happy tales they were not!!)

And have been keeping up with all the other blogs too, as always amusing, interesting and informative!

Signing out for now...

3 comments:

Hubitron said...

Awesome, Mainers!

That was really quick. If only all injuries were like this. Watch those anti-inflammatories though...they really messed up my stomach for a while. It might have been the mix of them and all the coffee I drank at that stage in my life, though. Yay grad school.

Anonymous said...

Replace "coffee" with "bourbon" and that might acurately represent my grad school experience. Ah youth...

Mindi said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

You will LOVE the dvr. It was funny b/c yesterday while running, I of course was thinking of all these things I had to do and had all of these great ideas popping into my head. I kept thinking I wish I had a brain dvr, so I could just hit record after I've had a great thought so I could go back to it. I always seem to forget once I get back and get showered. OK, sorry for going off topic. But the dvr is awesome.

Congrats on your progress.