Saturday, December 20, 2008

Update

A quick summary of what has been going on on the running front since my September post....

I carried on training for about another week, foot hurting but convincing myself that I could manage the problem and carry on my build up to Richmond. Being in possibly the best shape of my life it was hard to let go! Then ran 14 miles one Sunday and it was miserable. Decided then and there that that was it, time for action, called off Richmond, stopped running and started getting treatment on my by now confirmed and diagnosed plantar fasciitis.

For seven weeks I did virtually nothing (I don't do 'cross training'!). My weight crept over 160 lbs for the first time since College, I would pop out for a jog at the weekend just so I didn't go crazy but my foot seemed to be only improving very slowly. I also hopped in a 15k race as it was the last race in the Grand Prix series and there was a not insignificant amount of money on the line if I didn't race. I went into the race in 2nd place overall with about a 3 minute gap ahead of 3rd and 4th so worked out what I thought I would need to do to hold on to the second place. Just about managed it, getting round in 55 or so exceedingly painful minutes, 4 minutes slower than my usual time, but fast enough for what I needed to do by about 30 seconds in the end.

Then one weekend in November, ironically the week before I was originally down to run Richmond, I woke up feeling good, inserted the orthotics Dr Duffy had fitted for me and went out for a 5 mile jog. No pain!

So not rushing anything I gradually added miles each week, 30 the first week, then 35,45,50 and up to 55 last week. Back to a 40 mile week this week and I'm eventually starting to feel like a runner again. As all the runners out there would testify, a very significant feeling in my overall psyche....

No comments: