Tuesday, May 13, 2008

And now for something completely different

Did a workout I haven't done in a long time tonight- 16*300 with 1 min recovery walk back to start. Goal was to hit around 51-52s which I took to be about mile race pace and feel fairly comfortable as this is a cutback week after all. Goal achieved and closed with a 48: , which was pleasing. Not sure what the workout actually did for me though! Anyway, that followed vanilla miles Saturday to Monday. A rest day tomorrow before more vanilla Thursday and Friday and then back at it on Saturday.

Nice to have a recovery week this week as work is pretty crazy and Sophie has been sick too. Oh and in my preoccupation with the footie on Sunday I neglected to say Happy Mom's Day to all the wonderful moms and moms to be out there. "Happy Belated Mother's Day!" Very belated for you Mum as your's was back in March!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure what the workout actually did for me though!

If you're being serious and I'm interpreting the question correctly, it's an anaerobic capacity workout, which is important for culvating speed and dealing with acute oxygen debt...Not a workout I'd do until 4 weeks or so before a 3000-10k goal race, but one I'd go back again to do 10 days out from the goal race--the last tough workout of the cycle; except I'd either change the workout to be 5-6x600m@1500 P, keep recovery the same.

If I am wrong, then just shake your head at my slow ass...

mainers said...

thanks for the input Joseph, appreciate it. yeah i figured it was working on my anaerobic system but i never really felt i got into much debt as i took the workout fairly easy.

i've done very little anaerobic stuff this cycle and have conecentrated on more miles and tempos etc. consequently i feel stronger than usual but not as fast, and my times are pretty much the same as usual. so i'm still looking for that holy grail to geta little bit faster i guess!!

Anonymous said...

The good news though Mainers is that it takes very little time to max out your anaerobic system--something like 4-6 weeks according to Lydiard, Vigil, even Daniels. So, if you hit these workouts hard during the end of your cycle, you should rearing to go. Your goal race is how far away: 2, 3 weeks? No reason why you can't work this system some in the meantime...also, no reason why you can't extend the season by a couple weeks either...

Your fitness is 90% there...this kind of work is just icing.