Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Dog days of summer

Are here at last. Last four days have been brutal. You can guarantee here it seems that Memorial Day weekend when Nascar comes to town the temperatures will hit the 90s and the sun will be hot!

Got back from the beach yesterday after a great weekend in Hilton Head. It was very relaxing and our friends who we stayed with had rented a beautiful house- thanks! Got some good running in too, although heat definitely played a part! Saturday I did a long run of 15 miles at 6 am. It was in the 70s and very humid- I was drenched within a mile and the run was a 1 hour 45 minute chore to be honest! But I did find a nice route along golf course paths for my 10k tempo on the Sunday. Luckily the weather was a little more cooperative and I got a good workout in (average 5.40 miles for 35.46). Monday was a 5.5 mile recovery run along the beach before we got in the car for the 5 hour $50 gas drive home.

Tonight it was the usual track workout. I did 6 sets of 2*400 with 30 seconds between the reps and 2 minutes between the sets. The goal was to hit 5k pace for the first 400, rest for 30 seconds and launch right into mile pace for the second 400. Hit 75,67,76,67,74,68,74,67,73,68,74,68 so solid enough considering the heat and the fact that I'm still sick. My sinusses have really acted up since yesterday and I was running pretty hot before I even started the workout. This won't have helped but you know what it's like! I'm right near the end of this training cycle and I don't want to miss any workouts now! So I need an early night and a lie in. Instead I am up as usual at 4.45 tomorrow to meet the crew at the Dowd!

Week and a half till my last race and then I get a whole week off doing nada!

Emily 'graduates' from Preschool tomorrow so we are all looking forward to the ceremony they are doing for the kids!

I also became an uncle to Rosie over the weekend. Congrats John and Charlotte. I now have two nieces and two daughters. Lisa and I are done so it is up to my bro to have a boy if they have a third so that the Mainwaring line can continue!

Hope everyone had a great long weekend

No comments: