Tuesday, November 20, 2007

New goals

So today I was just taking it nice and easy checking out the course for Thursday's race when all of a sudden, "Crash!" I'm arse over tit on the pavement (sidewalk) and clutching two sore knees. Quick brush down and check that I haven't broken my watch and I'm off and jogging again, feeling sore but okay to run. Finished the run okay (5.2 miles at 7 pace, legs feeling better than yesterday) but my right knee stiffened up all day at work and I'm touch and go whether I can run tomorrow and race Thursday. I should be okay at least for Thursday but really want to run tomorrow as I'm on a three week streak of running every day, my longest such run ever!

After all that excitement it was off down town after work to attend the Grand Prix awards ceremony and pick up my 4th place overall award. It was good to catch up with people I haven't seen for a while and funny to see everyone in their 'civvies' and out of their running uniforms! The Grand Prix here really is an excellent event and it will be interesting next year to see what changes they make.

Also discovered that they have had so much interest for the Thunder Road Marathon in a couple of weeks that they are having to cap the amount of entrants! Not quite sure why more entrants can't be accommodated, but just shows how much bigger the event is getting each year. I hope they get better weather than last year when I ran my first and only marathon and it was frigid!



This year I'm planning on doing the 5k rather than the marathon! That will be my last planned race for a while. Last week I mentioned that I'll need something over the Winter to aim towards and Tim has come up with the goods, convincing me that I should join him and a few other guys in targetting some fast indoor/outdoor track races in early spring. So that's the new goal ahead. I've never really trained over winter with any specific goals in mind before so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Two quotes today, one to temper Mindi's caution about the feasts ahead this week "if the furnace was hot enough, anything would burn" and the other just a classic to sum up our sport and how it can make us feel. "Running to him was real, the way he did it the realest thing he knew. It was all joy and woe, hard as diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free."

No comments: