Sunday, November 18, 2007

Once A Runner


Got my copy of 'Again to Carthage' this week but decided to re-read Once a Runner first so I could get to know Cassidy again. Just a couple of chapters in and already remembering how many classic quotes there are in this book! In fact I may try and include one each day until I finish this book. How about this one which relates to my post about the 'food chain' I posted the other day?

"In the world of the runner, as in the ocean, there is a hierarchy of ferocity. The swift blue runner is eaten by the slashing barracuda, which is eaten by the awesome mako shark. In track, such relative positions are fixed more or less in black and white and are only altered at telling expense"

While we're quoting there is also Cassidy's shirt which reads "GAUNT IS BEAUTIFUL". I need to be wearing that shirt next time my mother comments that I could with a few more of her hot meals inside me...

Other than reading it's been a pretty busy weekend so far. Yesterday am was a 15 mile run with Tim and Scott, who joined us for the first few miles- good to have you back out there Scott, but less criticism of my blog please! If I want to talk about FOOTBALL, I will- I may have some readers beyond these shores you know! Speaking of which, somewhat miraculously Israel beat Russia yesterday leaving the door open for England to clinch qualification on Wednesday with a draw against Group leaders Croatia. They don't deserve a second chance but they've got one and I'm not complaining!

Back to the run and when i stopped the watch at the end yesterday I was surprised to see we had run at 6.30 pace average. We'd just been chatting away on a pretty hilly route and hadn't pushed it at all. Good signs...

Then it was round to Tim's for a 'fooball party' as we watched his Ohio State boys almost completely shut out Michigan in a dour contest. Then to Monkey Joe's with the kids so that I could be a kid and go up and down all the inflatables with Emily.

Today's run was 2.5 mile warm up, 5k in 16.40 over the Mcalpine Creek course that we train on all the time which hosts the Footlocker Regionals next week, 10 minute recovery and then 2*1k with a minute in 3.09/3.13. We were meant to be doing 4 originally, but we ran the 5k a lot quicker and harder than anticipated and my legs felt like jelly after 2 so we called it quits. 2 mile jog home and it made it a good 9.15 mile work out. Taking it easy now until Turkey Trot on Thursday.

Emily and Mom went out for the day today so I'm looking after Soph. She's napping at the moment (hence the long post!) but will wake up just in time to spend the afternoon watching (American) football with me. Can't beat a bit of Daddy/daughter time in front of the tv!!

I'll be back again tomorrow with another quote no doubt

1 comment:

Mindi said...

Please do put up the great quotes from Once a Runner. I have a hold on it at the library, but will probably not get it until 2009 as I am #23! Sheesh. Can they recirculate the thing already?!?!

Sounds like you had a good weekend!