Thursday, November 22, 2007

Perspective

Didn't race today. Warmed up with Tim and Joe but could immediately tell I wasn't going to be able to race. After 2.5 miles I stopped and walked back to the starting area and watched the race instead. Tim and Joe both put in solid performances. It was weird watching the race from the sidelines but there was no way I could have run. What I found really funny was the amount of people who actually walked the whole race. Now I'm not going to get all elitist and snobby here- the more people getting off their backsides and doing something the better- but I am just shocked by the amount of people who were willing to fork out $20 and well, go for a walk!!

There was some Mainwaring interest in the races today however, as Emily improved on last year's performance to place third in the Tot Trot. She loved it!

As I sit here now my knee has swollen up big time and has a huge bruise on it. I also seem to have strained my quad probably due to over-compensating the last couple of days running through the knee injury so it's time to put my feet up again I guess! The only good thing about this is the timing. No races for the next few months planned so when I get back out there I should be mentally and physically refreshed and looking forward to training for the track

Everything was put in perspective today anyway when a friend of mine told me his brother-in law had lost his battle with Cancer overnight. Spare a thought and a prayer for him and his family tonight....

Finished Once a Runner last night and will be straight into Again to Carthage tonight. "What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing , molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottom of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles; Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that?"

1 comment:

Mindi said...

Ouch. I hope that knee heals up soon!

Congrats to Emily!

So sorry to hear about your friend's BIL. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff...