Saturday, June 7, 2008

DONE!

Well my taper theory didn't pan out! Ran a very poor race this morning, coming 4th in 16.32. Marchinko took it out as expected on his own, leaving me to try and set the pace for the second group of three. I wasn't feeling great during the first mile and when I saw 5.17 I knew I was in for a long morning! Second mile I was still leading the group of three and we went through in 5.19. I continued slowing down, Cody and Robert took it on and I couldn't do anything about it, just feeling really tired and obviously feeling the effects of my cold still. The 85 degree temperatures (at 7.30 am!) didn't help either! Once I could see that I wasn't going to get a good time or catch up with Rob or Cody I just shut it down and pretty much coasted in, to avoid further damage. In the last 800 meters I was already thinking ahead to not running for the next ten days or so!

So this cycle comes to an end with a whimper. Ironically my best race of the Spring was my 16.10 effort in England which I ran after about two weeks training and the day after wining and dining at my friend's wedding! Not too concerned about today though. I gave it all I could I am still just not recovered enough from my cold. Feeling fine now and ready to recuperate and get back at it in a couple of weeks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, man, I thought one of us would be able to pull it off, but it doesn't always work out like that, huh? To be honest, it's been my experience that once a runner is at the point--especially in season--where they're like I don't give a toss that's usually a sign the season should be done.

That said, 20 seconds off a season best is not that bad...rest up, get healthy, and start making a push for your bus 2:35 come Fall.

mainers said...

yeah I definitely had that 'going through the motions' feeling yesterday. I just hope those sub 16 days aren't just a thing of the past and that there's more life in these legs yet!

Mindi said...

I hate to hear it. It is tough after so much hard work. Although I bow to a 16:xx, I understand your pain. :) Rest up!

Anonymous said...

Mainers,

My firm conviction is that if you're able to put in decent volume in the Fall and stay *consistant* sans injury, you will be in sub-16 shape...to me, it's been the injury bug that's nailed you to a large degree.