Monday, June 9, 2008

Richmond, we have a plan....

So Coach Tim and I (mainly Tim!) Coach Tim have mapped out a schedule for the rest of the Summer/Fall leading into Richmond. When I start training again next Wednesday, there will be 21.5 weeks until the big day.

The plan is basically split into 3 phases. Seven weeks of easy/base running, building up to 60 miles per week by the end of July, throwing in the odd race and tempo workout to remind the legs and lungs about speed. I will also adding 'strides' into the mix for the first time and being strict about taking Monday as a rest day every week- I always seem to do better with a day off each week.

The second phase will be the next 5 weeks building up to my only other goal race of the cycle, a Half in Cleveland the first weekend of September. This phase will see me cranking up the mileage and adding a second workout for each week, mainly LT work, but also some long interval workouts working the VO2. I will get up to 70 miles per week at this stage and my long run will hit 20 by the end of August.

After the Half (goal big sub 1.13 pr) I will have a couple of cut back weeks to hopefully freshen up again before the final push towards Richmond. Mileage will get up to 75 during this phase (doing doubles where necessary so I can keep the rest day) and a few of the long runs will incorporate goal marathon pace (6.00 at this stage) and faster, to get used to running race pace on tired legs. Workouts will continue to be geared mainly towards the LT but still working the VO2 as well. The last 4 weeks I will come down from 75 to 70 to 50 before the week leading up to the race. My last race will be a 15k 4 weeks out (hopefully with another chance of a pr), the last big workout will be a 17 mile run 2 and a half weeks out, with 12 miles at marathon pace.

Obviously this is all very up in the air at the moment but it's great to know I've got some sort of plan together and I know why I am doing what runs when.

Any comments from the experts out there will be very much appreciated! Current cautious goal for Richmond is to run sub 2.40, ambitious goal 2.35.

In the mean time I am enjoying my few days off. The only thing I have to do is remember to shower now! I associate showering with exercise so when I'm sitting on my arse all day I have to remind myself to take one!

So there you have it, it all starts next week Wednesday 18th June with an easy five mile run and a huge 30 mile week

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mainers,

I think that sounds like a solid plan, with this one caveat. Instead of a 15k--or at the 15k--run a serious test of marathon pace...Most of the guys I know who really clinch their marathon potential spend the last 7 weeks or so pouring everything into testing their marathon fitness, particularly with a serious marathon test 4 weeks out. I don't think--particularly in your case--15k fitness is=to marathon fitness. My two cents. Otherwise, sounds like a good plan--but dude, on your day off, I'd incorporate a good 20-30:00 flexbility session...as one tight calves mofo to another...

mainers said...

Thanks for the input Joseph!

I didn't mention in the post that the week before the 15k I am slated to do a 'marathon pace' long run anyway. The plan for the 15k is just to race it, not to use it as a marathon fitness test or anything like that. I mentioned the possible pr as I am hoping I will be pretty fit at that stage and it will come naturally!

re flexibility, I'm with you! Stretch, stretch, stretch all the way!

Mindi said...

GOOD LUCK! You sound like you have a great plan and I like Joseph's advive too.

In the meantime, enjoy your downtime (thanks very much for kicking my arse in scrabulous!). I hear you on the showering thing - It sometimes really throws me off! What? I shower after I run, not now? I haven't run yet, but I have to work? How inconvenient....

mainers said...

thanks Mindi. Hopefully your efforts at Columbus will inspire me a few weeks later! Couldn't be bothered to shower this morning!