Saturday, April 5, 2008

Back on home turf

So here I am back in the town I grew up in. Arrived here safely yesterday after a sleepless flight with a 19 month old slept on me for 7 hours straight. Very uncomfortable, my butt cheeks still feel like I've been riding on a bike all day.

It's always nice to come back. The old town I grew up in seems exactly the same as it always does and the familiarity is weirdly comforting. It is strange how things don't seem to change here though. And the other thing I notice coming over from Charlotte now. How small everything is! The roads are so narrow, everything just seems crushed together!

Got a couple of little runs in already. Yesterday after I arrived I headed out just to stretch the legs. From leaving my parents house you are out in the beautiful countryside within a mile. Did an old route, 4.2 miles just to get the kinks out of my legs. Being deliriously tired from lack of sleep made the run feel somewhat surreal but I was glad to do it.

Then this morning did another easy run, 5.9 miles, taking it easy as have decided to hop into a local 10k tomorrow. Will be interesting to see what the local competition is like. Running is very much a minority sport here. Us runners are looked upon as being pretty weird. I was on the roads at 6 this morning and still managed to get one heckler with the old "Run, Forrest, run!" shout as I passed her house!

Legs are feeling pretty strong at the moment, seem to be adapting well to the new running every day routine

No comments: