Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Curry and ale



Two of the main things I miss about life here (yes I know you can get them both in the US but honestly it is not the same!) so got my fill of both today. Can't beat a Prawn Madras washed down with a few pints of 'Reverend James' Ale.

To justify my excess got two runs in today. 8 miles this morning run at a purposely slow 7.15 pace on purposely flat terrain (it's bloody hilly around here!). Then a pre curry and ale run this afternoon. Had arranged to meet Lisa for a rare 'date' but was running late so my original plan of an easy 4 became a mini tempo effort as I covered the first mile in 6.40 to get warmed up and then pushed the next three in 17.20. Felt pretty good and I think I'm over my 'tiredness' now. My training always comes on leaps and bounds when I'm on my hols!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I would give up a good pair of racing flats to get good curry. You rarely can get that in the states.

That said, unless the doc tomorrow tells me I'm going to fall over and die (which I doubt), then I'm flying into your adopted home Friday morning. I'll have a car--I know you emailed me some stuff on Charlotte, but I'm dumb and lost it. Any info you can give--particularly, where to run, where to eat, if there are neighborhoods or areas worth checking out--please send it on!!

mainers said...

Joseph here's a link you might find useful (to be honest I haven't checked it out).

http://www.10best.com/Charlotte/index.html

Where to run? If you are at the Double Tree in South Park you could just run from the hotel and explore the local neighbourhoods (quiet streets, BIG houses) or if you fancy a quick trail run, drive and check out Mcalpine Creek where I train (6 miles away)

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Park+and+Rec/Parks/Parks+By+District/East+District/McAlpinePK.htm

Eat? Dilworth/South End is the 'cool' part of Charlotte- 15 minutes in the car. I wouldn't bother heading down town

Good luck and remember not to go crazy in the downhill first mile otherwise the last mile uphill will bite you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info. Have fun this week!