Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Solid workout at last

Things appear to be coming around at last. This will be my third week in a row of mileage in the high 50s and I'm starting to see the effects. Did a workout at the track tonight. 6*800 with 90 second recovery in 2.25/22/27/25/26/26. Plus 4 miles at lunch time and 4.58 miles warm up/down. Although I was straining a bit on the last couple of intervals, it was nice to get a decent workout logged at last!

Also did a bit of gadget shopping today. Gave up my Garmin as a lost cause and ordered a new one from Amazon. You can get the 'old' version pretty cheap now but still annoyed that I had to spend money unnecessarily! Also ordered some 'sport' headphones (Sennheiser) so I can listen to the ipod on the trails when the mood takes and a pair of calf sleeves. They seem to be the 'in product' for competitive runners around here and with my history of calf issues will hopefully be money well spent!

Quick post script on the London Marathon. It served to underline how far behind UK distance running is falling. The lead guy Dan Robinson put in a solid performance but when our best runner is talking about the leaders running 'freakish' times that he can't believe they are able to run it's a bit sad... Still at least we've got Paula!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what impresses me most about this workout: the recovery. 90 seconds on sub-5 paced intervals, whoa!

This said, you should be able to put down a sub-16 with those workout times!!! That 16:10 really might be more rust than true conditioning...

mainers said...

thanks Joseph, yes we'll see. I have a 5k this weekend but don't know the course or competition so not expecting the sub 16 there at all. However the weekend after I'll be in my first really competitive race for a long time. I'm going to take a bit of a cut back week and then hope to feed off the low 15 guys ahead of me and get dragged in under 16